Reduce, reuse, and recycle may seem like a small act, but it can have a massive impact on protecting the environment and helping the planet. Businesses are doing what they can to make a difference by looking at renewable energy solutions and recycling initiatives.
“Renewable energy, such as solar, result in minimal greenhouse gas emissions,” says Murray Long, Managing Director of First National Battery, South Africa’s innovative energy solutions provider.
“What’s more, the renewable energy sector is creating much-needed employment opportunities, which is great news for our country.”
South Africa has one of the world’s highest solar resource potentials, with more than 2 000 hours of sunshine a year. Long explained that running out of solar energy is impossible. A correctly specified, quality solar solution will harness as much energy as possible from the sun.
Three main benefits of solar
Solar power will help keep the lights on and productivity up for businesses while benefiting communities and the environment in the following ways.
1. Less air pollution
Solar panels produce clean, emission-free electricity, and when businesses invest in a solar solution, they reduce greenhouse gas emissions and their carbon footprint.
“Greenhouse gases cause damage to the ozone layer which is causing devastating climate change,” explains Long.
2. Improved health
Solar power is clean energy, reducing the need to burn fossil fuels, which leaves the air cleaner and the long-term health effects from air pollution is reduced.
3. Use less water
While some energy sources use massive amounts of water to produce electricity, solar is the opposite. No water is required for maintenance, and solar energy does not pollute our water system.
The heart of all renewable solutions is a robust energy storage solution
At the heart of all renewable solutions is a robust energy storage solution specially designed for solar power. Long recommends that businesses looking to invest in solar make sure they consult with First National Battery and have a site audit done so that the best solution is installed with the most appropriate, reliable, robust, and safe energy storage solutions with enough capacity to power operations and applications for long periods.
“Make sure that your solar battery supplier is committed to recycling so that mining for raw materials is kept to a minimum and precious materials used in the manufacturing of batteries are reclaimed and reused,” Long comments.
Few South African companies understand the environmental damage battery solutions can cause if not disposed of correctly, and even fewer are committed to collecting and recycling as many batteries as possible and recycling them responsibly.
While initial installation costs of a solar solution may seem high, it’s an investment that can substantially reduce electrical bills and make the world safer and healthier. It can also attract new customers and suppliers who want to be associated with an organisation committed to sustainability and doing good for the environment.
- South African Government. Minister Gwede Mantsashe: Solar Power Africa 2022 Conference CTICC. https://www.gov.za/speeches/remarks-honourable-minister%C2%A0%C2%A0mineral-resources-and-energy%C2%A0mr-samson-gwede-mantashe%C2%A0-solar#:~:text=South%20Africa’s%20solar%20resource%20potential,kWh%2Fm2%20per%20day). Accessed on 21 July 2022.
- Solar Technologies. Environmental Benefits of Solar Energy. https://solartechnologies.com/environmental-benefits-of-solar-energy/. Accessed on 21 July 2022.
- First National Battery. Renewable Energy Batteries. https://www.battery.co.za/products/solar-batteries/. Accessed on 21 July 2022.
- United Nations. International Day for the Preservation of the Ozone Layer. https://www.un.org/en/observances/ozone-day. Accessed on 21 July 2022.
- European Environment Agency. Protecting the ozone layer while also preventing climate change. https://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/climate/ozone-depleting-substances-and-climate-change. Accessed on 21 July 2022.